Have you ever planned of turning your basement into a bedroom for your boy? It might be that his current bedroom is already too small for him or it might be that there is an addition to the family. Well, you have to do everything to make sure that the basement would be something that your son would definitely enjoy staying in. Here are some tips on how to turn your basement into a boy’s bedroom.
• Have your basement thoroughly cleaned – Make sure your basement is free from all the junk and dirt that it currently has. You should even check for some pests that have managed to establish their nests in the basement. Whenever turning a basement into a bedroom, it would be a lot better to start with a clean slate. Everything must go out. Have the walls checked for molds and even asbestos content especially if you have an old house.
• Make sure you have it waterproofed – The basement is always susceptible to leaks as well as flooding. Of course, your son would not want to have a wet bedroom. That is why it is important to have your basement waterproofed. Foundation damages as well as wall cracks have to be repaired. Pipes that have the potential to leak have to be replaced or even repositioned someplace else.
• Plan for proper air ventilation – It is important for the basement to have proper air ventilation. That is why basement windows are important. But if installing new windows is not possible, you can always have air vents installed instead. You can also consider getting an exhaust fan so that the basement will not smell all musty. You might even want to consider getting humidifiers/dehumidifiers to ensure maximum high quality air.
• Choose a good color scheme – Thinking of a color scheme for the soon-to-be bedroom is important as well. Some of the colors that you might want to consider when thinking of a color scheme include red, blue, black, and white. These are the stereotypical boyish colors. But do not be afraid to consider other color options as well. A color scheme can help dictate what colors will your walls, your ceiling, and your furnishings should have.
• Decorate the walls – Boys love their walls decorated. That is why you can ask your son to help you decorate his walls. You can let him choose how his walls would be painted. You can even suggest picking wallpaper or wall mural. You can even hang photos and posters of his favorite sports stars. Better yet, it would be nice if these are framed. And in order to make them beautiful focal points of the bedroom, you might want to have recessed lights over them.
It is not easy to turn a basement into a bedroom. But with enough planning and dedication, it can be done. If you need help getting ideas for your basement renovation project, you can always consider hiring the services of Re:Design Renovations Inc.